Roll over image to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
- Vitamin B deficiency
- Beriberi polyneuritis.
- Plays a role in the synthesis and maintenance of coenzyme A
- Necessary for lipid metabolism, carbohydrate metabolism, tissue respiration, glycogenolysis, inhibition of very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) synthesis.
- May increaase chylomicron triglyceride removal from plasma.
Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin):
- Required for the maintenance of normal erthropoiesis, nucleprotein and myelin synthesis, cell reproduction and normal growth;
- Intrinsic factor, a glycoprotein secreted by the gastric mucosa, is required for active absorption of Vitamin B12 from the GI tract.
- Necessary for normal tissue respiration;
- plays a role in activation of pyridoxine and conversion of tryptophan to niacin.