- Rosuvastatin belongs to a group of medicines known as statins, which are lipid (fat) regulating medicines.
- It is used to lower lipids known as cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood when a low fat diet and lifestyle changes on their own have failed.
Rovastin is a selective and competitive inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase, the rate-limiting enzyme in cholesterol synthesis. It increases the number of hepatic LDL receptors on the cell surface, enhancing uptake and catabolism of LDL. It also decreases apolipoprotein B, triglycerides and increases HDL.
- Primary hypercholesterolaemia (heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia)
- Mixed dyslipidaemia
- Homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia
- Stroke prevention
- Severe renal impairment
- Active liver disease
- Unexplained persistent elevations of serum transaminases